This morning I read a great tweet by @onealchris
I think that the quote perfectly sums up the way in which our current learners use the web. This is an issue I am really keen to address in school, because in order for us to develop independent thinkers, we must first be able to encourage learners to understand the value, meaning, relevance and validity of the information they find online.
I decided to create a simple poster to encapsulate President Lincoln’s message.
The first poster I made did not include Lincoln’s year of birth/death. Just before I put it on the wall, I asked one of my senior classes (age 15+) what the poster meant. Worryingly only 25% seemed to get the joke. On further questioning, it transpired that the other 75% did not know that Abraham Lincoln died long before the birth of the Internet…
…so I added the dates!